When it comes to protecting your home from hurricanes and other extreme weather events, impact windows and hurricane shutters are two of the most popular choices. But which one is better? In this article, we’ll explore the pros and cons of each option to help you make an informed decision that best suits your needs.
What Are Impact Windows?
Impact windows are designed to withstand high winds and flying debris that can occur during a hurricane or severe storm. They are made from a special type of glass that is reinforced with layers of plastic film. This makes them extremely strong and resistant to impact, which is where their name comes from.
Pros of Impact Windows:
- Enhanced Protection: Impact windows provide a high level of protection against hurricanes, tropical storms, and even burglary attempts. They are strong enough to resist high-speed winds, heavy rain, and flying debris.
- Energy Efficiency: Impact windows are also energy efficient. The same layer of film that makes them strong also helps to keep out heat and reduce UV radiation. This means that your home will be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, which can save you money on your energy bills.
- Noise Reduction: Impact windows also help to reduce outside noise. The multiple layers of glass and plastic film create an effective barrier against sound waves, making your home quieter and more peaceful.
Cons of Impact Windows:
- Cost: Impact windows can be expensive. They require professional installation, which can add to the overall cost. However, they can be a good investment in the long run, as they can increase the value of your home and may qualify you for insurance discounts.
- Limited Design Options: Impact windows are available in a limited range of styles and colors. This means that they may not be the best option if you are looking for a specific aesthetic for your home.
What Are Hurricane Shutters?
Hurricane shutters are a more traditional option for protecting your home from severe weather. They are typically made from metal or polycarbonate material and are designed to cover your windows and doors during a storm.
Pros of Hurricane Shutters:
- Affordability: Hurricane shutters are generally less expensive than impact windows. They can be a good option if you are on a budget but still want to protect your home.
- Customizable: Hurricane shutters come in a variety of styles and materials, so you can choose a look that best suits your home’s aesthetic. They are also available in manual and automatic options, which can be convenient.
- Versatility: Hurricane shutters can be used to protect more than just windows. They can also be used to cover doors, skylights, and other vulnerable areas of your home.
Cons of Hurricane Shutters:
- Maintenance: Hurricane shutters require regular maintenance to keep them in good condition. They need to be cleaned, oiled, and inspected to ensure that they are ready to use when needed.
- Installation: Hurricane shutters can be difficult to install, especially if you have a large number of windows and doors. They may also require professional installation, which can add to the overall cost.
Which Option is Best for You?
Now that you have learned about the pros and cons of impact windows and hurricane shutters, it’s time to make a decision that best suits your needs. Whether you choose impact windows or hurricane shutters, both options offer great protection against extreme weather events.
If you need more guidance or help in deciding which option is best for your home, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our team of experts is always ready to provide you with professional advice and guidance to ensure that your home is safe and secure.
Investing in high-quality storm protection is crucial to protect your home and family during hurricanes and severe weather events. Don’t wait until it’s too late to make the right decision. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you choose the best option for your home.